At OwnLocal, we've built our success by standing on the shoulders of giants. Today, we operate in a space that Travidia, now Wanderful Media, invented and scaled. And it is our pleasure to continue their original mission, and our own, as one great company.
Twelve major media companies in the United States—including Cox Media Group, Gannett Co., The Hearst Corporation, and The Washington Post Co.—joined together in 2011 to create Wanderful Media as a way to purchase Travidia, Inc. and their Find&Save product.
Through Find&Save, CoffeeTable, and several other products, Wanderful Media has become a leader in the local-shopping space, streamlining the relationship between national retailers and local newspapers, and paving the way to monetizing print content on the web.
Find&Save has more than 400 sites that offer daily deals from large retailers and brands, such as Walgreens, Kohls, and Office Depot. The app utilizes geo-targeting to show consumers the best bargains and shopping content customized for their area.
OwnLocal specializes in running digital marketing campaigns for newspapers’ local advertisers, all starting from their print ads.
Combining our core strengths and local focus will allow us to better serve the publishing industry as a whole, and in turn, the businesses we serve.
Over the past 7 years, OwnLocal has become the foundation for thousands of newspapers’ local digital strategies. Our mission is to transform the way local businesses tell their story.
To do that, we extract the content from print ads to automatically build a variety of online marketing campaigns. This allows local advertisers to be seen and found, online and offline. And it provides our publication partners with high value, low cost advertising solutions and an instant new revenue source.
Currently we process 600,000 print campaigns for more than 129,000 businesses every quarter. In the last year, OwnLocal has generated over $150MM in new revenue for our 3,300 newspaper partners.
What does this acquisition mean for Wanderful Customers?
- Not Much: we will honor all existing agreements and continue to fulfill existing Wanderful, Find&Save, and CoffeeTable technology and services.
- OwnLocal has a team of dedicated account managers that will reach out to Wanderful’s partners personally to make sure this is a smooth transition. We will integrate the Wanderful team where possible to make this transition happen.
- If you have specific questions about your account, you can email Joey Weber, a long-time senior Wanderful customer support manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Support: Wanderful and all its products will continue to be supported independently. Email email@example.com and the Wanderful Customer Support team will be happy to assist you.
What does this acquisition mean for OwnLocal Customers?
- Not Much at This Time: Wanderful has some great products and features, and over the next several months we will evaluate how to integrate our two solutions. We will provide more information as that becomes available.
For any sales related inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for taking the time to keep up with OwnLocal’s progress. We are excited about what this acquisition means for us, for Wanderful Media’s partners, and for the industry as a whole.
Other question? Drop us a line!
- For questions about your Wanderful account, contact Joey Weber, Business Manager of Find&Save, at email@example.com
- For questions about your bill, contact Josh Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-501-6265.
- For questions about your service, or if you’re having any other issues, email email@example.com.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you were hoping to use Wanderful’s services in the future, or if you are interested in learning more about OwnLocal’s services.
OwnLocal was founded in 2010. We’re backed by some of the leading investors in media and technology, including Y-Combinator, Lerer Ventures (Huffington Post), Automattic (Wordpress), Knight Foundation, Baseline Ventures, and angel investors including Jonathan Coon (1-800 Contacts), and Paul Buchheit (creator of gmail).
OwnLocal works with 3,300+ media titles throughout North America, Europe, and Oceania, including Digital First Media, NewsCorp Australia, and Cox Media Group. By using machine learning and computer vision technology, we turn traditional advertisements into powerful online campaigns for newspapers’ advertisers. OwnLocal provides businesses with a simple entry point into digital advertising and adds hundreds of thousands of dollars in new, recurring revenue to their media partners’ bottom lines.
OwnLocal has acquired five companies since 2011, including Whoosh Traffic, Sidengo, Inbound Press, Print2Web, and now Wanderful Media. OwnLocal has 90 full-time employees and is based in Austin, Texas.
About Wanderful Media:
In 2011, a dozen of the largest media conglomerates in America, which collectively represented 450 newspapers and 80% of all US markets, joined together to purchase Travidia—a newspaper digital-circular solution—under the name ShopCo Holdings, LLC.
In early 2011, Travidia launched FindNSave, a website and mobile app solution to curate local deals and sales content from major national brands and retailers, in 800+ markets. The consortium purchased FindNSave as part of the deal.
In 2012 the consortium changed their name to Wanderful Media and invested $22 million in the FindNSave product. That year they also acquired iCircular, a mobile newspaper shopping ads platform, from the Associated Press.
Wanderful has raised a total of $50.5MM in 4 rounds of funding between September 2012 and April 2014. The company attracts more than 100 million unique web visitors each month to their FindNSave-powered “Shopping” pages. The company is based out of Chico, CA.
The full list of Wanderful Media investors include Advance Digital, A.H. Belo Corporation, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., Cox Media Group, The E.W. Scripps Company, Gannett Co., GateHouse Media Inc., Hearst Corporation, Lee Enterprises, MediaNews Group, The McClatchy Company, and The Washington Post Co.